Tuesday 30 October 2012

Skyfall



Now I am in no way a Bond expert. As part of the Brosnan generation, I have grown up with the 007 franchise being full of action and a lot of cheese.

However that doesn’t mean that I don’t get excited when a new film comes out. It’s like a national event when it comes around you just cannot escape the adverts that plaster the cities.

So last night I got the chance to go see Skyfall and I can say I was not disappointed.

When the credits started rolling I got Goosebumps, I love Adele’s song and teamed up with some beautiful shots this was the perfect way to start the film.


 Not only did the film provide a lot of topless Daniel Craig scenes (thank you), but also an excellent villain in Javier Bardem – who is perfectly psychotic and dangerous.

I’ve read reviews that this bond is back to it’s best, and I have to agree. It is definitely the best film I have seen from Brosnan onwards, maybe even ever.

I was a bit unsure around halfway through the movie as to whether it would be able to turn itself around. A low point being a particularly bad one liner that in my opinion should have been completely cut from the film.

I have to say that I find that Daniel Craig does not lend himself well to comedy, for me he seems to be a more serious Bond. So when he delivers the comic lines I cannot help but feel that it slightly mismatches his Bond- style.

In fact the whole film seemed to have a bit of an identity crisis. There were points where I questioned whether it was Bond film or not and the plot seemed to be a bit fragmented.

However the final part of the film (don’t worry no spoilers here) was so beautifully shot (thanks to the brilliant cinematographer Roger Deakins) and epic that it meant that I could forgive the occasional trip ups.

I would definitely recommended going to see this, not only for the Craig but also for some great shots that had me mouthing ‘oh God this is so cool.’


Skyfall is out now.

2 comments:

  1. We saw it with loads of hope. The 1st 50 minutes is pure Bond; but after tht the movie sags...Sam Mendes v cleverly posted that "Train top fight shot clip" 2 months ago vetting the appetite of millions (and so million saw it and are watchingit - making millions for this movie); BUt really plainly speaking - The last 1 hour (In Skyfall Villa) are one of the most predictable ./ rather boring screenplays sequences. Dont get me wrong; DC as Bond is great / charming, but the movie is a Ripoff - we felt cheated, all of us infact who had gone..But one thing its much much better than QOS,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I think you're right. I didn't see how the Scotland part fit with the rest of the movie, in fact it felt very separate... But I did enjoy it and would say it's worth a watch. And yes definitely better than QOS!

    x

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts