Saturday 29 September 2012

Like Crazy


Now anyone who knows me will be aware of how obsessed I am with this film. I tell everyone I meet (almost!) about this film.

I think the reason behind my obsession is because I’m just a sucker for romantic films. I admit it; I do like to think of myself as a fan of a good ol’ indie flick. But when it really comes down to it, if there is a romantic storyline I can swoon over I’m all over it.


Now that’s not to say that I like any romantic film. I recently saw ‘The Lucky One’ and it just made me want to barf all over Zac Efron’s perfectly chiselled face. However when the emotions are so raw and passionate, as in Like Crazy I can’t help but love it.

To achieve this rawness the director, Drake Doremus, avoided scripting scenes. Instead he created detailed outlines for each scene and let the moment between the actors grow naturally.

I recently watched a youtube video of the cast at Sundance and they explained that around 60 hours of material was shot, completely improvised and the film was made out of the edits of that. (I’ll link it below along with the trailer).

There is also a painful reality to the film, not only because of the improvisation but also because of the normality of the lead actors, Felicity Jones and Anton Yelchin. The audience can really feel like they are just two norms. People you could meet in your own life. Not to mention the way that they fully become their characters in the film. They genuinely look like a couple in love.

All of these elements add up to create the superb atmosphere of the film. And that is what I am all about. Atmosphere. If after I watch the film I can still feel the same emotions I did when watching the movie then I know it was good.

I literally have no faults to this film. Its perfection - well in my eyes anyway.

So go and watch it now, I dare you…




(Like Crazy is available on DVD and Blu Ray now)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like I need to rent out this DVD!

    Helena xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do, I think you would really connect with this because of the Englishman!

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts